Saturday, August 04, 2007

It's About Time I posted Again

Wow, has it really been one year since I was stateside? Incredible.

Once again, it's vacation time for many Europeans. In Spain, most of the country will be shut down for the next month, probably the same in Italy. Here in Germany, someone is ALWAYS on holiday. It continues to amaze me that we've been able to get anything accomplished at all in our repair facility. If someone isn't on vacation, they're covering for someone who is, so all in all, productivity drops considerably.

Somehow, though, I've managed to dig in, get my arms around things, and have managed to make some progress at work, but only just. There's a certain degree of fragility that could easily mean that things go to shit in a matter of seconds. Fortunately, I've come to terms with this, and can laugh at the situation, and myself. In short, the doom and gloom and triple B-sides of Joy Division from June and July have faded, and the normal service of my wacky life is back on track. Funny that I realized this while listening to an old Sisters of Mercy disc. Hey now, hey now now, sing this corrosion to me...

Summertime in Frankfurt really is nice. The temperature never gets so unbearably hot. The terraces, patios and beer gardens are constantly filled with people out enjoying themselves. I'm glad to say that I'm one of those people. OK, it certainly helps that one of the best terraces in the district is steps away from my front door, but besides the optional opportunity to have copious amounts of beer, it's really a great place to sit back, have a few laughs, and see loads of people.

The other week, I sat down with Max and John for a guinness and just enjoyed the scene. There's always bound to be some form of entertainment, whether it be someone tripping on the sidewalk and falling flat on their face or one of the waitresses dropping an empty glass or two. No sooner does someone remark, "Hmm, wonder what will happen next?" when some little kid riding a small bicycle without any pedals (kind of like a Flintstones bike) zips past and plows into some pedestrians walking in front of him. I'd actually pay money to see something like that.

Yeah, I still tend to spend a fair amount of time in the pub, but have been lucky to meet some really nice people, both in English and in German. Stefan and I still meet there frequently to talk about how we probably drink too much. There are plenty of football fans about, and, while there is a bit of diversity, most of us support one of the big three English teams: Liverpool, ManU, and of course, Arsenal. I've not seen any Chelsea fans around, and I think that they've been run off.

Normally I can get updates on community happenings in the pub, but somehow I failed to acknowledge that on two consecutive Tuesdays during July, there were strikes held by the train employees. One week was heavily publicised, and I arrived at the station to find loads of TV cameramen hanging around taking pictures of the morning commuters standing, waiting for a train to run. That particular morning only created a two hour delay for me; I arrived around 10.30 to the office.

The next week came as a complete surprise. Again on that Tuesday morning, cameramen were around (they wouldn't be so annoying except they were standing in front of the kiosk where I get my coffee) and I realized that things were going to be more tricky. It's not as if the whole station shuts down, though it does become rather chaotic as all the passengers are standing around trying to figure out what the hell is happening. On this particular day, only one union had chosen to strike, and I'm not really sure if it was the conductors or not. At any rate, they pretty much announce that the train is going to leave, so everyone boards, then sits, then the departure time passes, then they announce that the train isn't going anywhere. So everyone then gets off the train swearing, grabbing their mobile phones to call someone, anyone.

I chose to use my handy and call my boss, telling him that I was basically screwed for the morning. He said go home, and come back later in the afternoon. I took the opportunity to do some shopping and laundry along with a few things for work. By early afternoon, the strike had finished, so I was able to get into the office finally, did a few hours of work, then returned to Bornheim where I enjoyed a few pints on the terrace. Just another day in Frankfurt.

While these situations don't really bother me, they can be a bit inconvenient. Thank goodness I don't have anything so important going on that can't be delayed for a bit. I figured I'd just try to be more alert so at least I would be more prepared.

Thus, when John mentioned that they were about to begin some construction on our U-Bahn stop, I perked up. Basically, they've limited the service on our stop for two weeks (this last week and next). It means that I've got to ride for three stops, get off and transfer to another line, then continue on to the train station to get my commuter train to work.

It's actually been easy. No real delays to speak of. I've noticed that all of us who are so used to the normal routine (particularly for the morning and evening commute) have adapted well. For the first couple of days we all kind of were confused, but suddenly we're all in the groove. Hopefully we'll revert back to the old way once the project finishes next Saturday.

I continue to get a kick out of the whole train travel thing. Everyone has their routine, where they like to stand on the platform, etc. Lately, about every fifth person has their nose in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It seems no one can put the book down. Interesting that so many Germans are choosing to read the book in English as opposed to waiting until the German release, scheduled for October. I read it myself last weekend and am waiting to talk about it with someone else who has also finished.

There are always a couple of nutters hanging about on the train or the U-Bahn, which just makes for added enjoyment. It can be a little unnerving at times, but you just have to tell yourself, it's only heroin.

As I continue to feel more a part of the community, I constantly find interesting things out about the culture. Germans tend to follow the rules, so things tend to run in an orderly manner. However, if there is no rule, then it's a free for all. For example, there is no rule about crowding and being pushy on the metro. There's also some grey area when it comes to cyclists on sidewalks. Just last night a guy had a spirited conversation with a friend of mine about his distaste for cyclists. Simone uses her bike all the time, so she was getting wound up. Meanwhile, Bob made himself a little badge stating his name and, "Anti-cycling League." Quite funny stuff, particularly since I've never been hit by anyone (though I've had a couple of narrow misses) pedaling through a walkway.

Life in the village of Bornheim just seems right. You quickly get used to the men who gather in the square at 7am to drink vodka or whatever. You take it in stride when you see random wackjobs about. There are at least four people I know of that in all likelihood are completely insane, yet they frequent the pub regularly, shop in my local market, or loiter around the kebap shop. You just have to stop, smile, and keep on keeping on.

It's nice to sit here on a Saturday, listening to some groovy music, listening to the spin cycle of the washing machine, the temperature a pleasant 24 degrees. Later I'll go the gym, throw the weights around, and perhaps I'll clean the dishes that have been sitting in the sink all week.

I'm well aware that I'm on a (not drug induced) high at the present moment. Yesterday my estate agent let me know that I've got my flat through the end of the year at least. That solves my housing situation for another 5 months. My contract is renewed through June 2008, and this week I'll get the paperwork filed. If I keep this up, I'll have permanent papers that enable me to do anything in any EU country. Rocking.

Yes, the job could quickly go to hell in a blink, but I'm still proud of what I've done. My team is responding, and I received a bit of compliment from the girls in my admin team; they're all really pleased that I am trying to help and support. Plus, they think my German is funny.

Special thanks to those of you who drop me the random emails. Keep them coming. I don't always get a response fired off, but I've read them and like hearing about everyone's updates. Hope the "hickey" cleared up for you, Heather.

Reading the emails is always a nice link. I read Brandon's write up of the Burn game the other day (without Beckham) and how cool a time that sounded. I look forward to the next match I can get to, which reminds me McKee, Emirates beckons. We need to make some plans rather soon. We don't have to get the silly third kit, either.

For my sister, keep the faith, Lynne. We'll talk soon. Enjoy your next few weeks outside of the office and also be aware that you're due a trip to Frankfurt. Soon.

I spoke with both my grandparents in the past two weeks. My grandfather just had a birthday, and he's mid 90s, now. Sounded pretty lively when we chatted the other day, which was very comforting to me.

My grandmother is having a bit of a rough time at moment. A very close friend of hers is in some legal trouble, and he's got some serious medical issues, too. I'll skip the details, but pretty crazy stuff. Somehow, my grandmother is pushing through, and she's staying solid. I'm still so in awe that she can find always find something positive in a really bleak situation. It makes me proud to be a Barlow.

So, the Community Shield is tomorrow, and next Saturday the Premiership begins. Football is back, and I'm fucking psyched. Arsenal have a squad full of people I've never heard of, and it's going to be a nutty season, as always. Ray (Bornhiem Pub) has kindly printed up schedules for us so we can keep on top of who plays at what time on which station. Nice touch.

That's the bit for now. It feels good to write again, and perhaps soon I'll write about this exceptionally cool girl I met the other week. How's that for a cliffhanger?

keep the faith
bryan

German tongue twister I'm working on:

Brautkleid bleibt Brautkleid und Blaukraut bleibt Blaukraut

soundtrack
Sisters of Mercy - Dominion/Mother Russia
Secession - Sneakyville
Alkaline Trio - Fine Without You
Journey - Don't Stop Believin'

2 comments:

Pablo said...

Good to see Sunny Bryan reappear. Love a good Pink Floyd dirge every now and then...but sometimes Abba's sublime. N'est pas? Skype Sunday AM. (which will be Sunday afternoon for you, s'pose)

Anonymous said...

I have not posted to your blog. So now, I have. The Burn (fc dallas)were up to there regular hijinks of being phoenixes rising from the flames only to be doused by a Donovan goal. Is it me, or does the Galaxy always have our number? Are you paying attention? And why would you? You have the the creme de la creme of fusball. You have Formula One racing while we have skid track at the Ennis Motorplex staring David Bow-out Beckham. Regardless, have a bier and a sausage for me. Miss you much and God Bless You Always - B