Friday, August 31, 2007

Fashion Police, Champions League, and Body Grooming Accidents

I walked into work this past Monday and was really touched when a colleague contacted me immediately and asked how I was doing. He and I had planned to go to the Frankfurt Eintracht match on Sunday, but I declined based on the grounds that I wasn't feeling too festive. It really meant a lot for a colleague (albeit it a good one) to show so much concern (for someone that technically is still an acquaintance); that's not normally a character trait of the Germans.

That afternoon, my German teacher sent me an SMS with words of support, also. Yet another kind gesture.

Only two folks here were made aware of Lorie's passing, and both took the extra step. Most impressive.

I talked with Lynne on Monday night, and that really helped to have contact with family during a tough time. I was glad that Lynne sounded in good spirits, considering.

Tuesday, I elected to wear the boots, jeans and skinny tie to work. It's a bit of the Bryan really thinks Joe Strummer and Suggs are really cool look that I've been known to wear periodically. I'd forgotten that some people might interpret the attire a bit differently.

"Hey, you look kind of like the Blues Brothers, today," said someone in the hallway near the canteen.

"Er, it's a bit more two tone, actually," I responded, though I think the explanation was lost.

"Meeting someone tonight?" asked another colleague.

Oh shit, I am, but that wasn't the purpose of the Dicky Barrett outfit.

Later that evening, I arrived at the pub only to have two waitstaff compliment me on my dress, and while I graciously thanked them, I pointed out that the tie I was wearing was 20 some odd years old and had a lot of miles on it. Just goes to show you that you CAN be sick on your clothes several times during the course of two decades and still have them look OK at a later point.

My friend Simone arrived a bit later, and immediately had something to say. Ultimately she mentioned that black ties on white shirts were something that you wore if someone died.

The previous week, I had expressed my concern about Lorie to Simone, but it was a passing comment. For reasons I can't yet explain, I really hadn't planned to go about telling anyone in my neighborhood (including her) about the sad news. However, I was really surprised at Simone's comment.

At any rate, we had a few beers together, caught up on things, and had a nice chat. After a couple of hours, as we were getting fresh drinks, I raised my glass, and toasted the memory of Lorie. Then, I proceeded to explain the unfortunate recent events from the weekend. Simone seems to be pretty caring and thoughtful, so I was glad in a way that she now knew.

This girl tends to make me smile a bit, so I woke up Wednesday feeling better than I had in several days. I was late to work, which didn't help my productivity rate, as I had to leave rather earlier for an appointment in Frankfurt later that afternoon.

It seems that I'm not exactly legal in this country at the moment. My visa expired at the end of June, and everyone seemed to have dropped the ball as far as extending everything. I thought my company was handling everything, but as it turns out, I was wrong. Thus, I turned to a woman who helped me locate the apartment, and she was able to offer her services.

So, we met for a beer in Hauptwache, and I gave her all the necessary documents that she'd need. Hopefully we'll have this sorted in a matter of days. I'm waiting on confirmation that she completed everything and that there will be no further issues save for a penalty fee for being a bonehead who didn't get the application submitted on time. (I used to say a few sarcastic things about people who lost their green cards in the states. I won't be saying those things any longer.)

We parted company after the one beer, and I headed home to get ready for Arsenal - Sparta Prague. Arsenal just needed to clinch the aggregate victory and then be qualified for Champions League football.

Of course I watched this match in my local, and had a nice conversation with John while keeping one eye on the screen. Arsenal scored an early goal, then mucked around for 70 minutes or so before scoring two more to complete the rout. My spirits were starting to improve.

I stayed a little later than I should have having a couple of chats (and probably a pint or two), then headed home, where I decided that I'd do just a bit of shaving with a recent purchase I'd made. I'll skip the product brand, the humorous advertising campaign, or the chuckle when, after reading an email exchange a couple of weeks ago, I headed out to my local electronics shop to pick one up. It sounded like a cheaper alternative to a trip next door to the waxing salon.

Well, my apparatus attacked me! I've now got a little nick where I'd just as soon NOT have one, and that makes me laugh and get pissed off at the same time. It's a funny story now, and could have been even funnier had I not noticed that my bathroom window was wide open just before I fired things up. I'm not sure I want all of those neighbors getting a front row seat, so shut the blinds and cursed the real estate agent who had shown the flat that afternoon to a potential buyer.

Tea tree oil is the perfect thing for a little nick, so I'm now all better thanks very much. Perhaps I'm a bit sheepish, still, but that's just cos' I just documented it in this piece. Thank goodness I don't have a digi camera, eh?

Arsenal home to Portsmouth on Sunday, but right now, I think I'll head home from the office and see if I can create some trouble before then.

keep the faith
bryan

No comments: