Friday, June 19, 2020

The Fury and Disappointment Leads to Hope

Earlier in the week, I was dusting off some music that I hadn't played in quite a while, including several pieces by Joe Jackson, who remains my all time favorite pianist.  It has been over a year since I have recorded any arrangements where I play and sing; it seemed like an appropriate time to do so again.

To be clear, I have several JJ things in my repertoire, most of which I have been playing around with for the past thirty years.  I have found Jackson's works always challenging for two main reasons.  First, my voice is somewhat better suited for other stuff; it's not just my face that reminds someone of Tom Waits.  Second, playing and singing at the same time is not that easy.  Jackson's arrangments are pretty technical, probably because he is not merely a pianist, but rather a composer who can incorporate a lot of different genres into a song based on a simple little melody.   Check out his latest album and you will hear what I mean. 

As I did a bit of internet research on various versions of songs, I came across a fair amount of comments.  I couldn't help but take a few moments and read a few of them.  Although many (if not most) were very positive, I still came across statements that riled me.   Okay, I might agree to some exent that he is an underrated performer; such a remark can be considered positive.  I was more irriated when reading comments where Jackson is compared to other artists. 

I never like reading the comment "poor man's xxx," when used to describe something, particularly when it comes to music.  I feel that such statements are rather negative, despite the intention of the person who made the remark.  I seem to be fan of a lot of groups/musicians who get categorized in this way;  the Alarm (poor man's U2), Richard Butler (poor man's David Bowie), or in the case of JJ, a poor man's Elton John.  The self-centered part of me takes offense as I wonder why I like so much music that isn't widely embraced like the super famous artists mentioned, but the realistic part of me quickly remembers that I don't really like music for the masses, anyway.

I have to be careful, here, because I regularly make my own comparisons, as we all do.  Hell, I just acknowledged my resemblance to Tom Waits, and 14 years ago I had to sheepishly explain that I was the one who told my nephew that Actimel is actually Jägermeister for kids.  Making comparisons can quickly lead to expectations that can result in disappointment. (I will come back to this point in a minute.)

On the music front, I think of the band the Smiths.  In school, as I regularly discussed music with anyone and everyone, I found it significant that everyone tended to agree:  the Smiths were just so unique that one couldn't compare them to other groups.  At the time, your music exposure came from a lot of interaction with other listeners, and your horizons could quickly be broadened in a 5 minute conversation.  "If you like this band, then you will love these guys, etc."

The Smiths held a rather wide appeal with lots of different people.  I remember wearing my beloved Queen is Dead t-shirt to school, and was in deep conversation with a guy wearing Ropers and a western shirt (it was Texas, of course) about how much we liked the new album.  A friend of mine who regularly wore his mohawk in liberty spikes walked by in the hallway, pausing just a brief moment to state that he liked Meat is Murder better.   Later that morning in my science class, the cheerleader who sat next to me (alphabetically, not by her choice) turned to me and told me how much she liked the album, also.  Quite cool that so many different people simply could say, "we like the music just because." 

Years later, my friend Erik told me about the popularity of the Smiths with the Spanish speaking communities, particularly Chicanos.  I was fascinated by this, because I wasn't aware that the music was still influencing so many listeners.  It shouldn't have come as such a surprise, as I already had an album by a Spanish  artist (the lead singer of Duncan Dhu) who had done a wonderful cover of a Smith's song.  But, that guy is just a little older than me, so that made sense.  What Erik was explaining had to do with listeners from the next generation, a good 15-20 years younger.  How cool is now? 

Switching topics.  Indeed, how cool is now? 

Well, if you keep up with current events, things are not particularly cool.  There are lot of things going on that I find very distressing, and it's easy to become enraged as I watch yet another viral video of how someone behaves towards another individual or group of individuals.

It's disappointing, and if I allow it, I might become even more cynical.  But thankfully, despite my similarity to Eeyore, I am more like Curious George.  (Sure, why not bring stuffed animals into this post?)

To some extent, I am finding that I am disappointed in myself, particularly when it comes to accepting who I am because of my gender and the color of my skin.  As I think about things and educate myself, I realize that as open as I am, in heart, and mind, and in character, it has not been enough.  So, I read more, I discuss more, and I acknowledge my biases as I seek to understand what I can do as a white male to take more ownership, so I can understand all sides more clearly. 

It's a positive thing, and what's even more encouraging is that during a conversation with my father this past week, I learned that he is doing the exact same thing.  We talked about his time at college in Texas in the early 60s, and likewise his time in the military, where he met and served with people from vastly different backgrounds.  As a child, my sister and I were taught about the importance of equality, diversity, and tolerance.  But, she and I were not really informed about the experiences my parents had during the previous generation. 

That wasn't enough.

I wrote an essay condemning racism during my first year of university, and as I reread that paper this morning (yes, thanks to McKee, a lot of my archived work has survived and is stored in a little box in my German flat) and saw the comments from the professor, who gave me an A for such an "excellent, genuinely felt and expressed work,"

That wasn't enough. 

I don't have all the answers, but I am asking questions.

And learning. 

And hoping.

keep the faith
bryan 









No comments: