Saturday, February 19, 2011

It Is Only So Mundane As You Want It To Be

In this week's exciting update, I will detail extensively the culinary delights I took advantage of this past week while staying in East Killbride. Um, burgers and chips, I think it was. Three times. For a bit of variety, I ate sandwiches for lunch each day, ones that I had purchased in the local gas station/convenience store that we passed daily on the way to the office.

Now, this in no way is a dig at East Killbride, it is more of a reflection on the fact that Bryan can simply make do when the food choices are somewhat limited. I have taken a big step forward by actually eating lunch during the working week. For years, I was all about a smoke and a smile during the Mahlzeit, and for the better part of a decade in the states, I spent about an hour each day drinking lattes and watching the traffic flow on highway 114.

The decision to consume burgers this week came about somewhat by accident, and truth be told, had I been at home, I probably would have simply filled a few soft tortillas with chicken, cheese, and jalopeƱos and called it a feast. (Whoever said Bryan wasn't super talented in the kitchen?) Upon my arrival in the hotel on Monday night, I thought a burger was the easiest thing on the menu, and I wasn't all that hungry.

Midweek, I got back to the hotel after work, and got so worked up about the football match between Arsenal and Barcelona, that I phoned up room service and ordered another burger. (more on the match in a second).

The very next day, I went with some colleagues to a pub to watch the Rangers match, and was told that the burgers were great. Turns out that wasn't exactly the case, but that is how the triple burger bit came about, and I was definitely craving a repeat of the schnitzel I ate last Saturday night, which perhaps was one of the best I had eaten since I came to Germany.

The week itself started pretty early for me. My flight to Glasgow by way of Amsterdam left Frankfurt at 5 minutes to 7 on Monday morning, which required me to be up at 4.15. Not surprisingly, around 5pm that afternoon (central european time minus one) I was ready to call it a day. My colleague noticed, and drove me over to the hotel.

The working days were spent trying to soak up as much information as possible, and further develop relationships with my colleagues, identifying who does what (and how well), who to contact in North America for systems or materials support, etc. With each day, I get a better feeling that I am progressing, and will be able to contribute in my position.

Wednesday night was to be a prety big night. I had no intention of trying to find some cool place to watch the Arsenal-Barca match. However, upon entering the hotel after work, I realized that I didn't want to watch in the hotel lobby/bar, either. Fortunately, I discovered that the match would be broadcast on local television, hence the reason for doing the room service thing.

I tend to be a bit pessimistic when watching teams play against Barcelona, particularly my team. Barca are easily one of the most skilled clubs in football, and are tremendous to watch. I have seen Valencia beat them on more than one occasion, but Arsenal have not been so fortunate. (Champs league final back in 2006 was one of the best matches I have ever seen in my life, though the result wasn't so great. And never mind the home and away games last year...)

The build up to the game was quite great; both teams play attacking football, quite attractively. However, most people were putting their money on Barcelona, including myself. That team just seems to be miles ahead of everyone else at the moment.

The game started brightly (sorry Chris, just had to say it), and I quickly realized that I would not be able to finish my burger. I was just too jittery. 26 minutes into the game, Barca scored their first goal, and I feared the worst.

For much of the match, Arsenal were chasing the ball, but continued to fight for their chances to play their game. Their efforts were rewarded with a wonderful equalizer, and while I got kind of excited, I also felt that we would concede another goal or three.

When Arsenal scored their second goal, another very impressive one, I did jump up and do a little dance, ignoring the fact that my drapes were open and I was wearing only my Arsenal boxers. (note to self - remember that what happens on the road is supposed to STAY on the road. Sometimes less detail is better...) Still, with 7 minutes remaining, I thought that Barca would get an equalizer or a gamewinner. So, I sat shredding a coaster on the corner of my bed til full time was called. Arsenal did get the result, and I was beside myself. After closing the drapes, I did another little dance, watched the post match commentary, then went to sleep with happy thoughts.

The guys in the office murmured a few words of congratulations the next day, and a few other folks sent me emails or text messages, which was nice. Truly, the match was fantastic to watch, even if you aren't a fan of either side. I am quite sure your man from the Ticket in Dallas had a few things to say during his program on Thursday and Friday. If not, he should have.

Well, as one can expect when you are a new start, the time zips right by as you try to learn as much as you can in a short amount of time. The days are full, but as I mentioned above, I believe I am making progress and getting up to speed. Like the passing from the previous night's football match, information overload can make you dizzy.

So, when Friday morning came about, I was very ready to fly home for the weekend. The logistics are a bit tricky, as my connecting flight from Amsterdam departs about 50 minutes after landing from Glasgow. If my first flight is delayed by more than 5 minutes, I would likely miss my flight back to Germany. Last week, everything worked out well. Yesterday, we were about 15 minutes late getting out of Glasgow, and I thought that the chances of me catching my flight in Amsterdam would be slim to nil.

Amsterdam airport is relatively well organized, but it is busy, especially on a Friday afternoon. That is what I was thinking as I raced from terminal D to B. The queue at passport control was quite long, but somehow I found myself getting through security (hello, why do you have so many ac adapters, cables, and handys in your backpack? cos i am a walking office!) with the thought that I might just make my connection.

I jogged up to the gate just as the last of the folks in the lounge were boarding, so was feeling pretty good about things. The moment of truth would come in Frankfurt at the baggage claim; did my suitcase make it, too?

An hour later, I saw my bag come out of the little chute, and I was pleased with my luck. Sure, the luck may run out at some point, as I am quite sure with as much travel as I will be doing, I am bound to miss a connection, lose a suitcase or whatever. Right now, however, I am two for two, and will hope the luck continues for the next little while.

It was nice to get home to an empty apartment last evening; it is nice to be back in Frankfurt. Even after only two weeks in the new job, and the overall new experience, I have a better understanding of how my father felt during his many years of business travel. It is a good feeling to have something to come back home to.

With that, I am off to the shops. I need to pick up the dry cleaning, and I believe that I am running low on tortillas.

See you out there.
bryan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best Schnitzel you had in Germany so far???? Hm, I assume it must have been the BBQ sauce....Americans....pfft!