Saturday, November 14, 2009

Born to Run...Around in Circles

Ah, Saturday night, 8pm. Nope, I'm not at the pub. Instead, I'm slamming espressos and listening to Bruce. Yes, the very same Bruce that happens to be a fan of the Gaslight Anthem.

What brought this sudden change from the melodies of Thought Riot, the Exploited, and the Unseen that I've been listening to lately? I dunno. I was at the store buying a few things to get me through til early next week, including yet another flavor of fabric softener (Geez, as if I need 4 different scents at home to put in the wash...oh well, you never know what you feel like), when Born to Run came up on the ipod randomly. Suddenly, the long line at the check out stand didn't seem so lengthy; the heavy crate of water I lugged home didn't weigh nearly as much after all.

OK, so it's not quite the same as instantly increasing your auto's speed, but I certainly got a bit psyched up, and it couldn't have come at a better time. Today's action packed adventure included a quick coffee with a crying kid at the market, a trip to the gym, a little skype action with Lynne, and the tedious (but quick) task of mopping my floors.

After a littel reading (Stephen King - It) and a brief nap late in the afternoon, I did jump into gear, mainly because I'd decided that I could not allow another day to pass without dumping the umpteen empty wine bottles (er, in fairness, they've accumulated since Lynne's visit at the end of summer) in the glass recycle container outside the front door of my flat. You're not allowed to throw the bottles out past 7pm (otherwise others might be disturbed) and never on Sunday.

I got the bottles out at 6.59, then made the trip to Rewe to the rockin' sounds of Jersey; hence the sudden motivation to jot down a few thoughts.

It's obviously been a while since I've posted anything, but that's not to say I haven't been writing. However, those pieces remain quietly in a notebook; written during quiet reflective moments and not suitable for public reading (except for one drunk guy who came up to me the other sunday and attempted to decipher my handwriting).

At any rate, life seems to be rather up in the air for a lot of people right now, least of all me. I sort of like the uncertainty of it all, though it's easy to let yourself panic if you think too much about it. Thank goodness I don't think about it much. I'm more or less ready for anything, though I suspect the coming events to be pretty extreme, particularly on the job front. But hey ho...

It is a bit comical, though. I've noticed several people giving me second glances during the morning commute over the past few weeks. I think it's because the look on my face in the early morning (besides simply frightening) is one of total confusion. Sometimes it's simply a blank stare, other times it's more pensive, and frequently I look like I'm totally about to burst into tears.

However, more often than not, I'm really just trying to remember if I turned off the coffee machine before I left the house. (Twice in the past month I did forget, which was most irritating)

The look on my face during the evening commute home is arguably more tired, which again, doesn't necessarily bode well for someone my age. However, just after a rather interesting U-Bahn ride home one evening during which several of us watched a rather confused man have an energetic conversation with his armpit, I arrived to the pub and ran into a neighbor of mine. He ended up saying that he thought I was much younger than my age, and I was just about to feel rather touched, when he went on to say that I reminded him of the cast of Grease, as I regularly am seen in motorcycle jacket, blue jeans, and heavy boots.

I didn't slap him; he's about 15 years younger than me, and looks about 11 years old. And, he loaned me the Stephen King books, though he knows most of the early works only through film. ("Man, Bryan, I couldn't possibly read The Stand...it's WAY too long. But the miniseries was AWESOME" Er, yeah, sure.)

The whole age and fashion thing is a topic I'll touch on another time. I'm still plowing through life dressing like I'm mid 20s, which has created interesting moments when I have to explain that indeed, the clothes I'm wearing are the same clothes I was wearing then, also. However, I've one particular jacket that I can't bear to part with, even as it's lining is shredding away to nothing. Come to think of it, my moto jacket is looking a bit worn out, too, but, as I said, that's a story for another day.

Right now, I've got to find a newer looking shirt before I head off to a party.

see you out there.
bryan

soundtrack -
Bruce - Born to Run
Thrice - Of Dust and Nations
Alkaline Trio - Don't Say You Won't

No comments: