Saturday, March 05, 2022

A Busy Week of Being Unproductive

 I was really glad when Friday afternoon came around yesterday, as it just was not a great week.  Nothing seemed to be clicking along, and it was all kind of disjointed, as sometimes happens.  True, the world events are proving to be a very sad distraction, but besides that, I just could not seem to get anything done.  

Rather than get bogged down on all the things that created frustration, I have acknowledged them and am preferring to find those bits of humor that helped me get through. 

For example, I was experimenting with a new app on my television, one that enabled me to participate in "transatlantic streaming."  I normally pride myself on being resourceful to get these things working, but I was stuck for several days, unable to access the library.  In the end, it was a rather simple thing, and once I made the adjustment on the setting, I was back on track.  Finally. 

No sooner had I got the app working, I got registered for some online classes, but due to lack of communication and failure on my part to follow up, I inadvertently missed my first class.  Nice. 

By Wednesday, I was desperate for the weekend, but had to settle for running out to do some errands right around 17h.  I had arranged an appointment to get my glasses adjusted, and that 5 minute appointment went well.  From there, I visited a little wine shop to purchase a birthday gift, and that, too, was a nice experience; I had not known that the shop was located in my neighborhood, and the guy really knew his stuff. 

As always, when running errands, I go to the furthest point, then work my way back in the homeward direction.  Thus, the eyeglasses place was a 10 minute walk from my house, the wine place 9 minutes, and my next stop, the hardware store, was 7 minutes.  All pretty much on the same street. (gotta love my neighborhood.)

The hardware store was where I wanted to purchase a replacement toilet seat.  This visit took a little longer, because, well, there is not much to a toilet seat, but the variety on display led me to think otherwise.  

I think it is funny how none of us ever really stop and think about what it is that we look for in that perfect toilet seat.  I certainly don't, at least.   When shopping for other items for the household, sure.  I always know what features and stuff I want for the television, or microwave oven, and am always willing to put in the time to research before I make the purchase.  My espresso machine purchase came after hours of comparison and contemplation. 

But to spend so much time thinking about the purchase of a Klobrille?  Never. 

I first learned the word Klobrille at the fitness studio I used in the first years I lived in Frankfurt.  I knew the term Toilettensitz, of course, and that was a logical translation.  Klo was also a word I was familiar with, as it is the colloquial word for toilet.  But Klobrille thew me, as Brille is the word for eyeglasses. 

But, there I was one day in the bathroom stall at my gym, and I noticed a sign on the door saying, "Please do not stand on the Klobrille."

I can only say that I was rather confused for days (if not weeks) as wondered why they called it a Klobrille, and perhaps more concerning was the fact that they needed to post a sign like that in the first place.  What kind of gym was I working out at, where people felt inclined to stand around on the toilet seats?

But, I digress. 

When shopping for such item, no one really gives it much thought.  Unlike espresso machines, smart tvs, or microwaves, it is an insignificant purchase which requires little thought prior to making the selection.  That being said, it is a product that we do start thinking about, especially when we have a particularly good (or bad) experience on one. 

Other times in my life, I have finished my business (seen a man about a horse, if you will) and minutes later am thinking to myself, "wow, that was a good experience.  The toilet seat was just right."

Or sometimes it is the complete opposite, and the experience was less enjoyable due to the poor quality of the seat. 

Since we cannot pull a Goldilocks and the Three Bears in the toilet seat store, we tend just to grab one and go to the checkout counter, which is precisely what I did. 

The man at the cashier looked at the bottle of champagne in my hand that was not carrying the Klobrille, and quipped, "would you like to exchange that?" and we had a little chuckle together as I paid. 

The return home was the aforementioned 7 minute walk through the market square.  I think I maintained my dignity as well as one could hope while carrying a bottle of champagne and a toilet seat through the neighborhood as many pedestrians were finishing their shopping at the outdoor market and heading home from work.  

Of course as I got closer to home, I ran into a friend of mine sitting outside a restaurant while enjoying a beer.  "Hey, nice toilet seat," he could not help remarking, then realized what I held in my other hand. "Even better."

I responded that I had been out buying a birthday gift, and he jokingly asked me which one was the gift, or were both of them to be given.  (I always like those brief moments where there is some confusion that comes from different thought patterns from questions that are not specific:  "where did you get hit?"  "on the head."  "no, i meant, where location?"  and so on....)

At any rate, we clarified the confusion, he complimented me on the choice of champagne, and I continued home. 

For sure, that was probably the highlight of the week.  Thursday was not a good day at work, though I did manage to get my classes sorted out.  

Friday did not get off to a roaring start, either, but at least the weekend was soon upon us.  After finishing my last conference call in the early afternoon, I decided to install my new toilet seat, and after a few minutes of struggle getting the old one removed, did just that. 

No, it was not that super week that I had hoped for, but later today I am going to stand on my new toilet seat and do some reflecting.  Next week will certainly be better. 

see you out there

Bryan


No comments: