Saturday, November 06, 2021

Still Looking for a Birthday Buddy

 A few years ago, I was present at the exact moment two people discovered that they shared the same birthday.  It was an interesting moment to witness, and I realized just how seldom this kind of thing happens.  I felt a bit envious; where was my birthday buddy, and how come I had not yet met them?

I never really referred to people as "buddy," not with any great frequency, anyway.  I tended to say "dude" or "man" more in high school.  By the time I was in college, I was hearing "man" and "dude" so much that I gradually stopped using the terms.  Right about that time, I stopped saying "what's up?" as a greeting, pretty much for the same reasons.  

The definition of the term buddy can be a little confusing.  One time at a college party, I stepped around the corner of the house to take care of business.  Pretty much all the guys did the same thing, as we left the one bathroom in the house for all the female guests.  As typically happens as the evening progresses and the kegs keep flowing, one found oneself spending more and more time outside in the side yard. 

"Hey, buddy, would you mind not pissing on my house?"  asked a voice from the darkness.  

I was not really in a position to answer with any type of dignity, but I finished up and thought, "I do not think that guy thinks I am his buddy."

A couple of years later, the store manager where I worked constantly addressed me as buddy.  "Hey buddy, can you restock the telephone cables?" or "Hey buddy, make the bank drop tonight after we close." 

Fast forward almost 30 years, and I find myself using the term a little more frequently, not as a form of address, but rather as a reference.  

For example, my friend Nadja is also my key buddy.  I have her keys, and she has mine.  Neither one of us tends to lock ourselves out of our flats, but it also nice to know that we are covered, should that ever happen.  Strangely enough, when I was a child, my father, who does refer to groups of friends as "buddies," never told me specifically that the Swords or the Stuarts were our key buddies.  Instead, he simply said, "If you ever get locked out of the house, go to the Swords.  They have a spare key."

A few months ago when I got my vaccination, again my friend (my key buddy) became my vaccination buddy.  The two of us went together to the doctor's office for our shot.  

The following week, I was telling some German friends about my vaccination experience, and referred to my vaccination buddy.  They gave me some curious looks, and I went on to explain that yours truly does not particularly enjoy visiting the doctor, especially for an injection.  It was a lot more comforting to have someone there with you. 

I elected not to tell those friends about my previous vaccination buddy experience from college (probably right about the time I was decorating the outside of some guys house) when it was time for flu shots.  A friend of mine accompanied me to the auditorium where they were offering the vaccination, and I was really really worked up.  My friend turned to me, noticing my anxiety, and simply said, "Hey, I am your flu shot buddy," and her comforting words got me through the event. 

Last week I got my booster, and unfortunately had to go to the clinic without my buddy.  Fortunately, I did keep the recent memory of our last visit at the front of my mind, and as relieved as I am to have the booster, I did miss her company and comfort. 

Yesterday on the way back from the supermarket, I encountered two boys arriving home from school. They rang their doorbell (as they have a few years to grow before they will have their own keys and eventually key buddies), and as soon as someone answered the intercom (presumably the father), both announced (in that quiet way that children are capable of) "Wir sind!"

I cannot be sure that they were twins, but I have to assume they were brothers.  I just found it fascinating and endearing how they both answered in unison.  

A nice visual of what being buddies is all about. 

So, today my two friends celebrate their birthdays, one in Germany, one in Texas.  Although one of them is not the biggest fan of birthdays, I know that both are equally pleased to have a birthday buddy. 

As for me, I have again reached out to one of my favorite authors, who not only shares my birthday, but also shares a fondness for Arsenal FC.  I cannot count Mr Hornby as my birthday buddy until he gives his consent.  Here's hoping he feels so inclined to accept my invitation. 

Until then, see you out there

Bryan



No comments: