Thursday, June 13, 2019

Updates and Plans

I'll begin this week's post with a quote from a book I have been re-reading called Effortless Mastery.

"Imagine looking at your life with joy, anticipation and excitement, because you don't know what's coming.  As you accept whatever comes, your life becomes truly exciting.  The music becomes truly exciting."

I may have read this passage hundreds of times over the past months, but last week it particularly grabbed me.  For the rest of the week, I asked myself if I honestly believed that I was doing this; looking at my life with joy, anticipation and excitement.

The short answer is no, not like I did years ago.

Rather than beat myself up about it, I spent a few days paying more attention to how I was reacting to "whatever came."

True, I tend to lean in the pessimistic direction with some regularity, but this is not to say that I simply resign myself that everything is doom and gloom.  I also fully respect and comprehend the concept that it really comes down to how one views things: the world, one's life, one's job, etc.  It can be as shitty (see what I mean) as you want it to be.

I am reminded of a girl that works in the pub; she's quite young and also works as a flight attendant.  As you might imagine, she is rather perky.  Initially, I wasn't quite sure if she was being genuine or not, but the more I have gotten to know her, I realize that this is just how she is.  It is refreshing to hear her greeting other pub guests with a bubbly smile. 

So maybe I am not quite that bubbly, but taking a look at things from a more positive perspective certainly improves my mood, especially on those darker days.  Last week, for example, I received a couple of packages from the delivery man.  I was excited to receive my new clothes drying rack (to replace the one that I sort of broke the week before during a small incident where I lost my balance while toweling off after a shower.  If you must know, I was doing the "psych it up Bryan dance" which got a little out of hand, resulting in me having to lean on the drying rack.  Unfortunately, those racks are not designed to bear 85 kilo.  Thus, a quick on-line order to replace it.) but was NOT so thrilled when the guy asked me to sign for three other packages. 

I tend to become irritated when the delivery man hands over additional packages to me, as I suspect that he simply did not try to deliver the package to the intended address.  Additionally, I get a little irked when I think of the people who placed their order in the first place, knowing full well that they would not be at home for the delivery.  This irritation comes from 20 years working in repair logistics, where I have spent countless hours having to find lost packages and solutions for customers. 

Later on that afternoon as I was setting up my new drying rack, I realized I was being a bit selfish.  After all, since I am at home during the day, I am able to collect packages on my neighbor's behalf, and were I in the same position, I would be rather grateful to know that someone was doing me a similar favor.

In fact, during the weekend I was rather touched when one of the neighbors left a little thank you gift at my front door.  He had been most thankful the previous evening when he collected his package from me, but I was floored to open his gift and find a nice bottle of wine and some tuna fillets.  I had not expected that kind of gratitude at all, and all things considered, had been happy enough with the verbal thanks.  One might say it was joyful and exciting.

I cite another example of "accepting whatever comes," this time involving celery.  Since the beginning of the year, I have stayed on my celery kick.  A couple of months ago at a party, I was discussing this with a friend of mine, and she was amazed.  It turns out that most Germans refer to the celery root when referring to celery.  The thing is, I had never seen a celery root before, so once I actually saw a picture of the lumpy turnipy looking thing (the root, as it were) I realized why she was so amazed when I said I was eating so much celery every day.

Well, last week at the grocery store, the usual stalks (you know, the little packaged version of the cute little green things that get cut up and put into kid's lunches for crunchy snacks) were not available in the produce section.  I actually spent a few minutes looking through all the vegetables and finally came across some enormously leafy bunches of celery.  Although I do like to get the crunchy stuff myself, I picked up several bunches to cover me for the next several days.

I must say that I am quietly impressed.  Maybe it is a bit extreme to say that it is exciting and joyous to be eating the equivalent of a rain forest each morning, but it's been pleasant.  A nice reminder to accept whatever comes.

Like with kids, even for a 49 year old, all plans are subject to change.  Sometimes the stuff you want at the store is not available.  Sometimes a neighbor surprises you with a gift of gratitude.  Sometimes you stay out later than you expected. 

Last evening, I met up with a friend at the pub, and we got to chatting about our careers.  I do miss talking shop with friends; this is something that does not happen so often in my German circle of friends.  At times, I am glad that it is this way in Germany, but sometimes I really need the heart to heart.  Ali and compared notes on how things are going in our jobs presently, and also discussed our future plans (or lack there of).  I related my frustrations with my sister and her family about their own future plans (or lack there of) and during the conversation I realized (once again) that perhaps it would be best if I focus on my own situation and simply accept what comes.  That is not to say that I do not have a plan, but I also recognize that I need to alter my plan a little, and perhaps more importantly, alter my mental approach.  It makes sense to look at it with a sense of anticipation, joy and excitement, just as Kenny Werner says. 

We had a really good conversation, and while I did not plan on staying so late at the pub, it was the right thing to do.  First, the conversation was good.  Second, due to a water main issue on my block (directly in front of the pub, where water started bubbling out of the sewer and running down the street with alarming pace), the water company had to turn off the water on my block, and spent from 10pm until very early this morning solving the issue. 

Anyone who has had the city come out and solve this kind of problem is aware that the solution involves using jackhammers to cut into the concrete and dig up the pipe and figure out what is blocking things.  The noise rules in my neighborhood are pretty rigid (after all this is a community where one should not run electrical appliances like dishwashers or washing machines after 10pm), so when Mainova started their digging, it was extremely loud.  People several blocks away walked down to see what the hell was going so late at night.

From my situation, the issue was that there was no water in my flat.  The issue was compounded because of the fact that I had already consumed about 3 liters of water during the course of the day, and had spent the evening drinking water with black currant at the pub.  Six pints of water was sufficient to keep a clear head, and the need to visit the gent's every 15 minutes.

Since we had been informed that there would be no water service for about 8 hours, I was faced with a small dilemma. 

I will spare the gritty details, because it all worked out in the end.

Yes, I did go home at midnight, and yes, my restful sleep was regularly interrupted with a few trips to the little boy's room.  I elected not to flush, but this was not a huge deal. 

In short, I took things as they came, and the situation resolved itself this morning when I got out of bed.  I checked to see that I had water running, and after doing my business, and with a bit of joy, was able to flush.

Talk about truly exciting...

see you out there
bryan





No comments: