Friday, September 23, 2016

Solving a Few Hardware and Software Issues

A couple of days after my return from the quick stateside visit at the beginning of September, I assumed I would be almost through with any jet lag.  However, I wasn't quite prepared for any additional issues that might leave feeling a bit out of sorts.  For some reason, I had an incredible bloated feeling, as if I had just eaten a very large meal, and this pretty stayed with me for almost a week.  The German word for bloated is aufgebläht, which I think is a pretty cool word for a pretty unpleasant thing.

I basically stayed home most evenings during the course of the week and took care with my diet.  Towards the end of the week, I was thinking that I was feeling better, but would likely stay very quiet during the weekend.  In preparation of the upcoming quiet days, I placed a quick order for some DVDs, which all arrived on Friday morning, just in time for the weekend.

Like every other international traveler out there,  I have quite enjoyed the in flight entertainment options in recent years; they are so much better than the way things were 20 years ago when we all had to wait for the one movie to be shown to the complete cabin.  Now, there are so many options available for the individual to select, it is almost overwhelming.   Since I rarely watch any television, don't visit the cinema too frequently, and almost never do anything more than doze on an airplane, I look forward to catching up on a few films every time I travel to the states. 

The recent flights gave me a chance to see a couple of gems, including 2 films that I watched both going and coming.  The films, in my opinion, were that good.  (note to self - watch the Irish film with Nadja)

Any way, there I was on a Friday morning, happy to have some films to watch, and once I finished work for the day, I collapsed on the sofa and tucked in for the first movie.  I elected to watch the movie on a large laptop that I have; the screen is a nice size and oh by the way, my DVD player in my living room is not always 100% functional. 

50 minutes into the movie, the little message came up saying, "hey, your battery is about to die, so plug the unit right now."

This was surprising, because I had the adapter plugged into the wall right next to me. 

2 seconds later, the laptop abruptly shut off.   I was so engrossed in the plot of the movie, I was only halfway concerned about the laptop issue.  

I decided to try and use plan B, which was the home DVD player hooked up to my normal television monitor.   After a bit of difficulty getting the player to read the media, I managed to watch another 20 minutes of the film.  Then, the DVD player decided to quit. 

Fuck.

The DVD player on my work laptop has not worked in over a year (if it ever worked), so my 2 options were always the home player or the second laptop.  In fairness, the 2nd laptop is not particularly young, and I have been contemplating a new purchase over the past 18 months or so.  However, as long as it was functioning, it was pretty easy for me to delay any urgent purchase.

So, last Friday evening, I was dead in the water.  Lots of movies, nothing to play them on.  
I was not feeling well enough to even want to try and resolve the problems (ie...buy a replacement unit), and unfortunately, I was not feeling well enough to simply read a book as a way to enjoy the evening.  Most folks here are well aware that I am an avid reader, and despite the fact that I read 4 books while I was in Texas (thanks, Jetlag!), the books were typical top 10 bestseller newstand kind of books.  Bascially, this means that you are reading a movie.   In most cases, a couple of hours after finishing the book, you know it was good story, but you cannot remember any of the character's names.  

I decided grumpily to go on to bed, very early.  Hopefully a night's sleep would have me feeling one step closer to being back fit. 

For what it's worth, the early nighty night did actually help.  I lounged around the house for the rest of the weekend, only venturing out one time to get a few groceries.   I felt pretty sure that the upcoming week would bring better things for me, and at least I would feel physically better.

Sunday morning, I decided to resolve my electronic equipment problems, and made a couple of online purchases; they would be delivered by mid week. 

Here we are again on a Friday morning, and this week has been better (slightly), albeit different, than last week.  The full feeling is gone, so my tummy is happier.  The fact that I seem to by fighting off a cold and yesterday morning may have twinged my back again is creating some annoyance, but thankfully, my laptop is working again, and there is a very small new DVD player sitting on the shelf in my living room. 

From a watch movies at home perspective, order is restored.

Here's hoping that next week goes a whole lot better.

see you out there
bryan










No comments: