Monday, February 22, 2016

"No, Really. Where Do You Come From?"

During my little experiences over the past couple of weeks, I have been reminded of the challenges of introducing yourself to someone who not only does not speak English as their first language, but also is not too familiar with a surname or given name that does not have German origins.

Ten years ago, I had similar problems as I tried to integrate myself into the bureaucratic system in Spain.  Part of this was due to my inability to speak Spanish so clearly, but most of it had to do with the fact that the various civil servants that I was meeting with to organize my paperwork simply had never heard a name like mine before.   I was quite frustrated initially, until a Spanish friend pointed out a key point.  "They HAVE heard the names before, but they just aren't accustomed to it.  Try giving an example when you introduce yourself, so that they better understand."

It was really good advice.  When I was at an administrative office and they asked for my first name, I gave it to them, along with the added explanation of, "...como él de Canadá que canta "Cut's Like a Knife," un disco de los 80s." 

Suddenly, faces were lighting up with recognition and they were no longer confused by the scary "Y" in the middle of my name.

When it came to the last name, I again stayed with pop music.   "...como Gary, el cantante de Take That."

Again, these folks were all smiles as they responded, "ah, vale."

A year later, upon arriving in Germany, I found that this explanation worked just as well.  Of course, I had to reverse the order, since formal introductions in German involve giving the last name first.  However, I got through it without too much difficulty.

Throughout the past decade, there have a been a few moments where people have had to ask for me to spell my name, but I usually just give them a business card and let them sort it out themselves.  (Seeing something written down helps a whole lot, as we all know)

Well, with all the various doctors appointments that I have had this month, I have repeatedly found myself standing in front of a receptionist who is really struggling to understand me when I say my name.  Unfortunately, my old trick no longer works.  Most of the nurses and assistants that I have seen in recent days are all under the age of 25, which means that they have NO IDEA who I am referring to.  Talk about a generation gap.

Thankfully, my doctor uses the birth date as a reference in the database, so we are able to sort things out and find my name in the computer.

I accept that one pronounces vowels differently in English, in German, and in Spanish.  I also recognize that I tend to get these pronunciations confused from time to time, which certainly explains why I still have a noticeable accent when speaking German.  Though I am sensitive to this,  it is rare for me to take it personally when someone can't understand me.  And in all fairness, with the exception of names, it is equally rare when someone is unable to understand me because of the language that I am speaking.  A friend once pointed out that because my voice is rather low and likewise soft, people sometimes don't understand me PERIOD.  Language has nothing to do it with, but rather it is my inflection that creates the confusion.

Last week, I watched a film which had a scene where a French woman went up to a doctor and said, "Please help me find a penis."

"Ah, you want to find HAPPINESS," responded the man.

"Yes, a penis!" confirmed the woman.

Sure, I am always striving to improve my ability in German (Spanish, also, for that matter), and while I would prefer to have less of an accent when I speak, I also try and find the positives in those moments where my accent does stand out (which is pretty much everywhere).

During my appointment last Friday morning, the doctor mentioned in passing that he assumed I was British, based on how sophisticated he found my manner of speaking to be.  As I corrected him on my nationality, I thought his comment was rather interesting; how on earth does one make that deduction while having a conversation in German?

Most people, when asking about my nationality, are not so surprised by the nation, but they are surprised by the state.  

"Really?  But you don't have an accent.  You don't sound like a cowboy."

 I concede that I do not have what one considers to be a Texan accent, but what is fascinating to me is that for most Germans, this is simply a stereotype of what they believe is actually an accent from Texas.  Again, it is difficult to understand how this comes about, because not every German can differentiate between a British and American English accent, and most cannot differentiate between the regional dialects.

For those people that I meet (or know) from the US or the UK, especially those that have traveled a little bit, there will be some mild surprise as to where I come from, but again, it is stereotypical.  Last week, I met an English friend of mine at the pub, and a second guy joined our conversation.  After a few minutes, he said, "Hmm, I can't place your accent."

Sure enough, he was a bit surprised, but accepted it in stride and we continued our conversation.

Ultimately, what I have noticed in these past years (and particularly in these past weeks), is that people, despite the initial bewilderment, quickly accept my answer and get on with things, just like the guy from the pub last week.

I think this is exactly how it should be.

Ironically, quite a few Germans, especially those over the age of 30, have commented that I sound exactly like a famous pop star from the 70s and 80s, one who was born in South Africa but relocated to Germany when he was in his 20s.  

Fair enough, but that won't make my name any clearer to the nurses when I see them next visit.

see you out there
bryan


No comments: