Saturday, January 30, 2016

Random Messages on a Friday or Any Day of the Week

"I am convinced that one of the greatest displays of drumming is by Topper Headon on London Calling. Happy Friday."

I smiled as I read the incoming text from B.  What a random remark, but a perfect way to finish a Friday afternoon, and start the weekend.  Of course, B wrote the message during his morning commute to the office while listening to the aforementioned album, and felt compelled to send a quick note. 

For my own Friday morning, 7 hours earlier, I had elected to listen to a couple other Clash albums, particularly needing to hear the song "Straight to Hell."  The work week had been rather lousy, and listening to the Clash is a helpful way for me to put things in perspective, or at least find a bit of comfort.  The bonus of having a good friend listen to the same band on the same day somehow made it even better.

Random events like this are nothing new, especially with the friends that I have.  Over the years, we have traded the odd quick message with one another; a message that probably makes very little sense to anyone else, but for us it triggers an instant memory of a time and a place.  For example, "Have a pumpkin on me,"  or "Here's to saxophone solos on the beach," might seem like extremely strange remarks to anyone on the planet, save for Spence and me, and that is perfectly fine.

True, many of these moments are from friends I made in school or at college, but I am certain that as we have all grown up and moved to our different corners of the world, we continue in the same manner, not only with our old friends but also more recent friends.  With old friends, I like the mere fact that these messages give us an opportunity to share a brief moment and if not a laugh, certainly at least a smile. 

However, I also greatly appreciate that with friends I have made in the more recent years, these random moments continue.  In many cases, they involve references to music (which certainly is no surprise, given the influence that it has on me), but it could also be a simple reference to a line from a movie, a cartoon character, or an animal playing in the snow. 

They have all the same significance:  Heute habe ich an Dich gedacht.

And that tends to be pretty cool thing.

see you out there
bryan


No comments: