Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Playing Favorites

"What are your 10 most favorite songs?"

When I was asked this question last night I was caught off guard; I simply had not expected that question.  This is one of those questions that I can usually answer immediately, so not surprisingly, I asked for a pen, intending simply to jot the list down.

As time was short, I ended up taking the challenge home with me, and before going to bed, sat down at my kitchen table and wrote.  I quickly realized two things:  the longer I thought about it, the more difficult the task would be, and second, there would be no way I could rank the songs. 

What makes these my favorites?  The common thing is that they ALL grabbed me right from the first listen, wherever or whenever that first listen took place.  I am certainly not surprised that half of the songs come from the 80s, and sort of understand why none of the songs come from after I turned 30; my appreciation for music started early and the influences are obvious. 

With the exception of Bruce, I have seen all of the artists at some point in my lifetime, though not necessarily the complete band line ups that did the original songs.  What I do find to be very cool is that all of the artists (those that are still living, at least) still continue to make music. 

A few of you who know me (and my CD collection) might question a few of my selections, but can also appreciate that this is a list of 10 and not 100 songs.  You can also understand why it is so difficult to actually rank them.  Fortunately, they all make for a good soundtrack regardless of the order in which they are listened to.

So, what are the songs?  Here you go -

1) Joy Divison - Love Will Tear Us Apart

2) Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out

3) The Clash - London Calling

4) The Mission UK - Wasteland

5) The Bouncing Souls - Gone

6) The Alarm - Strength

7) Love Spit Love - Fall on Tears

8) The Wonderstuff - Sing the Absurd

9) The Who - Baba O'Riley

10) Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Further commentary is unnecessary.  As indicated, any time you may have spent in my dorm room or apartment through the years, as well countless hours driving around with me lets you know why these are the songs.  Tim, particularly, would likely be able to guess at least half of these songs as being on my list.  Of course, that is what happens who you commandeer a stereo for so long, eh?

At any rate, there you have it.  8 songs from Britain, 2 from Jersey.  Favorite songs of a guy from Texas who lives in Germany.  Makes sense.

keep the faith
bryan

No comments: