Sunday, October 30, 2011

It's About Time

Last night I set the clock in my kitchen back by an hour, as you do when preparing for daylight saving. As I was getting into bed, I realized I needed to do the same with my little alarm clock in my bedroom. Typically, my computers and my mobiles would update themselves automatically, or at least that is what is supposed to happen.

Though I was very tired, I read for about half an hour, then switched off the light, only to lie there restlessly with a mind full of all sorts of thoughts. Physically, I was in need of the rest, but my head wouldn't have any part of it; I must have finally dropped off to sleep several hours later.

Fortunately, the sleep I did get was fairly deep, and I opened my eyes this morning feeling somewhat rested. I looked at my alarm clock, noted that the time was way too early, then compared the time with my mobile, which was one hour ahead. I changed the time of the mobile, then lay there with my eyes closed, hoping to perhaps catch another hour or two of kip. In the end, I just sort of dozed until my mobile beeped several times in succession, signaling new emails coming into the mailbox. (ah the joys of receiving automated reports that all trigger off first thing in the morning, every day of the week).

I decided it was time for a coffee, so put on some jeans, walked into the kitchen, and noticed that the wall clock showed a time one hour later than my mobile and my alarm clock. It turns out, apparently, that both my alarm clock and my mobile DO update themselves automatically, though I had failed to recognize this. I had set both of them back an hour further.

Thus, for a brief period this morning, I have been completely unsure of what time it is.

Truth be told, this is really nothing new. Every spring and fall, I always kind of go through this ritual: trying to prepare for daylight saving, then questioning whether I set all the clocks right. At least I tend to remember, though, even if the time is not completely correct.

I recall that more than once during my childhood, our family overlooked daylight saving time, which did result in a few humorous experiences, most of which involved us arriving for church an hour early on Sunday mornings. Because of those experiences, after living on my own, I have made a point to make sure I did not forget. Rarely have I forgotten since, though I was a bit surprised to find that european daylight saving time does not happen at the same as in north america. (There tends to be a 2-3 week gap between the two, which always makes for some interesting skype conversations with my parents, who keep asking what time it is where I am; they try to understand the time difference so as to avoid calling me in the middle of the night)

After getting the time sorted this morning (the clarity came with the first cup of coffee), I turned on the tunes, and heard the first line of a song, "It's about time that I came clean with you."

While I certainly can connect with the song on it's intended level, I also recognize the various ways the opening phrase, particularly the first four words, are used.
For example, if you have been waiting for someone to arrive for a meeting, an appointment, or whatever, and that person is rather tardy, it is normal that someone says, "It's about time!"

Yesterday afternoon, I had the pleasure of watching an Arsenal match on television. The game was excellent, my team victorious (rather convincingly), and in a post match discussion with another fan, I stated, "It is about time!" We have been waiting for them to start playing the type of football that has made them so successful for quite some months.

I guess the expression is used mostly with strong feelings of emotion, at least for me. As one would exasperatedly say "it's about time," when their tardy friend finally arrives, they might also exclaim "it's about time!" when they finally accomplish something that they have been trying unsuccessfully to do, like learning a really complicated piece of music on piano, or being able to conjugate an irregular German verb, or coming to terms with feelings, just to name a few personal experiences.

During their visit last weekend, my aunt and uncle gave me a keepsake of my grandfather: the wrist watch that his congregation gave him back in 1976 when he was elected Bishop, thus moving on to another role within the church. I happened to be at that reception back in 1976, and remember very well how appreciative the members of the church were of my grandfather, who had been the pastor of the church for many years. I even remember when my grandfather received the church's gift, and how touched he was when he read the inscription on the back of the watch.

Though I have never really worn a watch myself, I did receive a Swiss watch from my grandfather when I graduated from college. It was a special watch (one that I had already identified as one that I would like to have), and it did not escape me that my grandfather also found it a nice piece. Though I welcomed the gift, I never got in the habit of wearing a watch all the time (or any time, for that matter).

As I understand it, my grandfather's wife identified his watch from 1976 as something that my grandfather would have wanted me to have, and for that, I feel truly honored.

Sheer coincidence? Perhaps. However, I recognize the significance, and feel the connection.

And that is timeless...

No comments: