Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Quiet Saturday Night

Late last night I sat on my balcony during a rainstorm, listening to a couple of compilations on my ipod. For two hours I just enjoyed the self time, allowing the tunes to help carry my mind wherever it wanted. It was interesting to sort of watch and feel the rain without hearing it, as the music provided the soundtrack. Still, I knew the type of sound the particular rainshower made, which was most comforting.

Sure, I have listened to these comps countless times, but sometimes when you are in a different mindset, the tunes strike you differently. Of course, I had moments of reminisence, recalling the first time I had ever heard certain tracks, or why I decided to put a track on the compilation in the first place. I recalled Funland and shows from 20 years ago (during the Dallas portion of one playlist), and smiled as I remembered getting thrown out of Trees once for taking a nap at the bar; I hadn't thought of that incidet in years.

I felt a bit somber as I listened to a song by COE, thinking of a friend of mine who, though I haven't spoken to him in a year, once mentioned how much he liked the particular song 59 minutes. A couple of weeks ago I found out that he has less than a year to live.

Minutes later, though, I was overwhelmed by the happy thoughts of how perfectly fitting the songs were, twisting and turning as they went through the gamut of emotions. I listened closely to the lyrics, somewhat amazed at how clear the Spanish songs were, despite my not using that language as much as before.

Interesting that I had been about to go to bed, truly tired from the past week, when suddenly, just with a a few tunes, I was wide awake and truly concentrating on things. Yes, I am often pensive, and I regularly reflect on the past, but last night everything was intertwined, mixing ideas for the future with memories of the past, funny times countered with not so pleasant moments. In life's unusual way, my thoughts were filled with absolute clarity, though clarity for me seems to be various shades of grey.

Quite the experience, I must say.

As the second comp came to an end, I finished my drink and went straight to bed, where I slept rarher soundly, and I didn't once have a nightmare about how poorly Arsenal looked yesterday in their opening match of the season. However, I will leave that discussion for another time.

Meanwhile, on with the music...

keep the faith
bryan

soundtrack -
Camouflage/Thrice/JimmyEatWorld
LawrenceArms/Rufio/Daryl/Funland/Old97s
CourseofEmpire/LaLey/Ignite/NewOrder
JoeJackson/Texas/BouncingSouls/BenFolds
Moenia/BigAudioDynamite/TheAlarm
MilesHunt/PhilCollins

No comments: