Sunday, February 28, 2010

Is it time for spring break yet?

Well, I was going to take a walk this afternoon, but a storm has blown in, and the wind is actually blowing gusts of 40 mph; kind of a good decision that I've elected to stay indoors, do a little laundry, and scribble.

It's been a bit of an interesting week on all fronts. Work was a little too quiet (of course, these things will happen when you start shifting your repair volumes out of your facility), and the reminder that things aren't so well positioned came forth with yet a few more announcements of people, "electing to pursue other interests outside the company."

I half jokingly told my boss that if he was going to send out an email similar to the other announcements he'd sent out during the week, this time with my name listed, that he'd better bloody tell me first. "No chance," he said. "You're going nowhere."

Oh goody.

Being the last man standing in a repair shop without anything to repair is not nearly as gratifying as being the last guy standing at, let's say a crawfish boil. However, perhaps I can take some comfort in the security that I'm bound to keep my job for quite some time, abeit the comfort may not be much better than trying to wrap yourself in saran wrap and thinking you're now wearing a raincoat.

Ironcially, no sooner had my boss made his comments, I found myself on two separate occasions coming in contact with someone who looked upon me as if I was the absolute last person on the planet that they wanted to see. Kind of a creepy feeling at the time, and mildly irritating. I mention it cos' I was sort of caught off guard; I hadn't done anything to offend or annoy. At any rate, pub crowds can be funny, sometimes, and I wrote the experience off as sheer coincidence that the two times I was even in the pub this week it happened.

It is entirely possible that it was my own false perception. I've just started reading a new book by Nick Hornby, and like always with his stuff, I tend to get a bit pensive. Combine that with exteremely heavy listening to the new Alkaline Trio album that came out this week, and maybe I just dreamed the whole thing. Who knows?

Indeed, it was all about the trio this week; I've been waiting on their new album for some time, and I was pretty pleased with the effort. My neighbor made a comment when we saw each other in the stairway yesterday, "Ah, so the loud music I keep hearing is coming from your flat!!"

Oh yes indeedy. I'm kind of partial to "the american scream," myself.

So, I've got a bit of ironing ahead of me this evening, and I must do a bit of flat cleaning over the next several days, as my parents arrive this coming Friday.

I'll get right on it as soon as I've tweaked the stereo volume up a notch...


keep the faith
bryan

No comments: