Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Can burning the candle at both ends kill an iPod?

I watched Arsenal advance to the next round of Champs League last night, and was feeling relatively pleased with things as I grabbed a couple of kepabs from Miro and headed for home.

My mood quickly darkened when I tried to connect up the iPod. Nothing but the little sound you get when you plug something in your USB port, but no power, no "iTUNEs is up," or anything like that.

As I'd only had a couple of guinness during the match, my wits were about me, and I was feeling a bit frustrated sitting at my pc trying to figure out the problem. While I was waiting (and munching on a durum), I skimmed a few emails to find one that irritated me enough that I simply powered down and went to bed, hoping like hell that I'd wake up this morning with a fresh angle on fixing my tunes.

OK, I didn't sleep well, and almost actually lounged in bed too long, but I did give the "reset" trick on the iPOD one more shot this morning and smiled when I saw the logo appear on the little screen. We've always known that I've got to have the music, and as I've got a TON to do in the next several days workwise, this seemingly insignificant bit of having an iPOD ALMOST die was going to go down as a really catastrophic thing. Fortunately, everything has worked out ok so far, and I smiled all the way to work.

Yep, for some reason, this time of year (when every other industry seems to slow down) gets more and more busy for us, which sucks for me, because I work in a place where no one seems to understand the concept. I've got a lot of colleagues who have already blown through their 30 days of holiday this year and STILL expect to have a week or so off at Christmas. It doesn't matter if I turn their vacation apps down, they'll just call in sick, and in Germany if you so much as sneeze you get a doctors note for a week off.

So be it, is what I'm saying. I'm hoping to stay relatively healthy myself, especially next month when I get back over to Spain.

The staying out too late and coming home at 8am (normally only on the weekends) is in full swing for me right now, and it's fun. It's particularly nice to cross paths with the early morning joggers who clearly did not just spend the past 12 hours doing what I was doing.

For those of you who make it into the Monk on this fine Thanksgiving Eve, enjoy yourselves, and give everyone my best. I'm going to go listen to "Reggata de Blanc" and "Alec Eiffel," again; those were the first two songs to pop up this morning, and they're both just mighty fine.

keep the faith
bryan

No comments: