Monday, March 19, 2007

Cool Things That Make Me Smile

People frequently ask me how I like Germany, and I always respond with positive remarks, and they've almost always been true. I say "almost always" because from time to time one has to recognize the audience. You'll see from the list just what I mean. I've been working on this list for a few months, but have managed to forget to include it in previous posts. In no particular order, here's what I like about being in Frankfurt:

1) Everyone is interested in where you're from, and apart from a little obligatory razzing on the American (a Texan no less), almost everyone moves on to other conversation topics instead of getting hung up on the nationality without any further comment.

2) Women of all ages tend to wear their hair in pony tails. If this is your thing, you're in trouble. It is my thing, and I'm in trouble.

3) Boots are also quite popular with the female population. It adds an element of style that makes for a pretty enjoyable scene.

4) Very small kids take the public transportation to (and presumably from) school each morning. My bus stop is in a small neighborhood, and as I get off, there are about 5 kids that seem to be between the ages of 4 and 7 that all get on the bus, usually looking somewhat top heavy with the size of their back packs. I'm quite touched that the bus driver and most of the passengers take care to ensure the safety of the children.

5) I frequently see blind people getting assistance on and off the train platforms, as well as to and from the U-Bahn lines. Frankfurt Main Hauptbahnhof is extremely hectic during the AM and PM commute, yet no matter how late someone might be, they will always take the time to help someone in need get safely to where they need to go.

6) I've developed a bit of a rapport with the security guards at my repair facility. I usually try to say a few things in German to them throughout the day, and while they were a bit frosty a couple of months ago, they now tend to be a bit more cheery, and more than once one of the guys has actually responded "Good Morning," after I wished him a "Guten Morgen."

7) I have not met a German yet who hasn't apologized to me for the level of their English. This, while touching, is a rather humbling experience for me. I frequently mention that I'm learning the language (and to some extent I am) when I speak with someone auf Deutsch, but try not to apologize.

8) In the spirit of behaving like the people in my neighborhood, I tend to look both ways before jaywalking across the street, and at least five times now I've almost been hit by a bicyclist who has to ring their little bell and swerve out of the way as I inadvertently walk in front of them. "I've got a motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time..." sang Joe Strummer. (I wonder if he ever had my problem)

9) Much the way we endured junior high and high school dances (ok, mostly junior high) where the boys stood on one side of the room in a group, listening and singing loudly to songs by the Scorpions, Journey, and various other seemingly rock and roll songs (boy did that comment sound like I grew up in a suburb that had very little racial diversity...) while the girls stood in their own groups on the other side of the gymnasium or whatever, singing and dancing to the more seemingly dancy type songs (ie...Cyndi Lauper, Men Without Hats, etc).

That's not far off from the scene in some of the bars around Frankfurt, only there's a bit more heein and sheein, and everyone sings the songs together. I must admit I've been right in the thick of that once or twice, which is why I've started taking a few CDs with me round to the pub at night so at least I can sing what I want.

10) I've now had my back waxed in three different major cities of the world. Dallas was the most expensive, Valencia was the most friendly, and the first Frankfurt experience is still open for discussion. It wasn't horrible, it wasn't great, and it wasn't too expensive. It was all in German, though there's not a great deal to talk about when you're on the table and some girl is ripping your cats off. Extra points for the fact that the salon is right next door to my flat.

So that's the short list so far. As time passes, I'm sure I'll will have more exposure to plenty of other things.

The weekend was a basic success, as the goal was simply to imbibe enough beers to impress Shane MacGowan. I started Friday evening, carried over til the wee hours on Saturday, basically slept all day, and then had a relatively early night on Saturday: I started the celebrations around 8ish, and finished around 1am.

Sunday was rather productive for me, surprisingly enough. A few hours banging out some songs on the guitar, followed by a good visit to the gym, followed by a couple of salads and a bit more guitar. Later, I wandered over to the pub to catch the Arsenal match, which went very poorly on the match front. However, it was the first opportunity that Sonja and Barbara got to sit on either side of me, which made for a slightly interesting experience. Hell, I could almost make it number 11 on my list...

keep the faith
bryan

soundtrack:
The Church - Under the Milky Way
Oasis - Wonderwall
Therapy - Screamager
The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God
Sesame Street - People In Your Neighborhood

1 comment:

KHAQQ said...

HA.

Funny blog, dude.