Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I'm Wearing Red and White Today

I'm certainly not a big fan of Valentine's Day, but this morning felt inclined to wear red and white. Of course, I only have a few red shirts, and they all happen to have white sleeves and an Arsenal badge on the front.

Arsenal play Bolton this evening in FA cup. They should have won the game a couple of weeks ago so as to avoid the replay, but alas, they squeaked out a draw (as I mentioned in a previous post).

Parading around a German repair facility in an Arsenal kit might seem a bit stupid, but I'm finding that there are more than several folks around that happen to follow the club, and at times even support them. Sure, Arsenal's keeper is German, which helps a great deal.

I'm rather surprised at the support for Chelsea, though. But, a few people have reminded me that they're from Russia, and being that Chelsea is owned by a Russian billionaire, well there you go.

In about 12 hours, Arsenal will have their opportunity to advance to the next round of the cup. Come on boys.

Today on the train, I just sat back and enjoyed the ride. Normally I try to read a little (either in German or Spanish, depending on the mood), but today, I just looked out the window the whole time, and marvelled at the scene.

Morning commutes on public transport tend to be pretty entertaining. Everyone sort of sits on the U-Bahn with a dull expression, and then bursts into action upon reaching their stop. The Hauptbahnhof is a pretty big stop, and as soon as the doors are open, everyone crowds off the train and scurries to the steps, which will then get them to the actual train platforms.

So, you've got a mass of people trying to race upstairs at the precise moment one or two people are racing DOWN the stairs in hopes of catching the U-Bahn before the doors close and it moves off to the next stop.

From time to time, I've seen the odd accident, usually involving someone trying to run too fast with their rolling suitcase or briefcase, then KAPOW! They round a corner and hurtle into a crowd of people coming the other way.

I've long since stopped carrying a coffee with me on the metro for this very reason, lest I get broadsided by someone trying to zip around me. It's much safer to get a coffee next to my train platform, then stand around and try to understand the announcements on the PA.

(Note - if any of you are wondering why I have some free time at 9.15am to jot a few things down, I can explain that I'm waiting for a report to finish running.)

As I bring this session to a close, I remind myself that one year and three days ago, I moved myself to Spain. I've been bopping around for 12 months learning new languages, assessing the quality of various coffees, making friends, doing some work, and laughing my ass off.

If I were to write everyone a postcard, I would truly have to use the cliche, "Having a wonderful time. Wish you were here."

Thanks to everyone for staying in touch. It's great to get the odd email, phone call, text message, or whatever. I love hearing about the buzzer shot at the half time basket ball game, the outings to the pubs, the grocery store closings in Dallas, the challenges of families struggling to get a member free of cancer, choir concerts, weekend trips out of town, and emergency double hernia surgery. No, it's not that I look forward and enjoy hearing news about a friend's suffering, but I am always interested in the latest news, whether good or bad. It helps remind me of how important and special the place I used to live was and continues to be.

Before I write another incredibly sappy run-on sentence, I'll sign off. Besides, the report just finished, so I can continue with work.

Rock it up Arsenal, er, Happy Valentine's Day, and all the best.

keep the faith
bryan

soundtrack:
U2 - I Will Follow
La Ley - El Dolor
MMB - The Impression That I Get
Dropkick Murphys - We Got the Power
Bad Religion - Let Them Eat War

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

b - your presence in n texas is needed poste haste. report to tpd immediately for expensive coffee and smelly break rooms. that is all.

dw